Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Team Jesus

Ok -my son is a hoot. I have, of course, mentioned this before. For better or worse, as a child growing up in a Christian home and in Cubbies and Sunday School he has learned that the answer to many questions is "Jesus!". As a result Jesus has been the topic of many funny conversations lately.

A few days ago Isaac asked, "Why do we have so much snow? We already have lots of snow? How come more is coming?".....before we could give any sort of response he answered himself....

"I think it must be Jesus' fault"!

Of course, we burst into laughter and then said..."Well, yes, I guess it is Jesus' fault, He must know that we need more snow."


Yesterday morning while eating breakfast Isaac asked, "Are fireflies on Jesus' team?"

.....I had NO IDEA how to answer that question. My mind started churning with the possible motive or underlying question that he was really trying to answer...then, I came to my right senses and remembered that he is a 4 year old boy and so all "team" related questions really come down to the Good Guys vs. the Bad Guys....which, I guess in an innocent theology is really what faith boils down to....so, I said...."well....Jesus made everything and He is a Good Guy and I guess fireflies are Good Guys so they must be on Jesus' team".

Isaac took another bite of eggs and then looked at me with the most serious of little boy looks and asked, "Mama...do you think Jesus would like me on His team?"

I almost cried. That was the most precious little question a 4 year old boy could ask. I said, "Isaac, Jesus created you and He loves you completely. I am certain that He wants you on His team."

Isaac answered, "Mama....would you pray and ask if Jesus wants me on His team?"

Again...almost tears. So I prayed out loud, "Jesus, Isaac wants to be on your team. I know how much you love Isaac and I know that You think he is great. Please help Isaac know that You want him on Your team."

Isaac took another bite and said, "Mama...Jesus just told me I can be on His team. I have to go get my sword and practice for fighting."

Could you just die.

That has to be one of THE most precious conversations I have ever had.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

(sniff) SO cute.... He's such a little character!